Recent Storm Damage Posts
Storm Damage Clean Up
Storm and flood damage can be devastating. Immediate action is needed, and you need the company with storm damage experience. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals have the expertise and the resources to handle any size disaster and can respond immediately to storm and flooding conditions.
Have Storm or Flood Damage?
Call SERVPRO of Cheviot Hills/Palms Today: (310)801-3312
- Provide 24/7 Emergency Service
- Highly Trained Water Restoration Specialists
- Faster to Any Size Disaster
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Regardless of the Storm Damage, They Can Help
- Storms occur with little warning and can be especially devastating, so you’ll need the company that you can trust to rise to the occasion. Regardless of the type of storm, SERVPRO Franchise Professionals can handle any size disaster. During catastrophic storms and major events, our Disaster Recovery Team can respond quickly with additional resources.
- Flooding caused by heavy rains
- Hurricanes and tidal surges
- Tornadoes and wind damage
In places like California where storms don't occur often, the infrastructure and plumbing is not entirely ready for large scale storm flooding. There have been scenarios such ass the example that is about to be written, where the infrastructure failed and cased massive damage. This example is a case when there was a storm in Southern California and the flood waters that came from the storm filled he storm drains to a point where they went beyond capacity and cracked, this caused the flood water to flood into an apartment building nearby the affected area. This type of damage is sometimes a freak accident such as this is unavoidable, but the best thing to do is always keep in mind that such scenarios can occur, so when disaster strikes you can act quickly. SERVPRO is always ready to help!
Hurricanes in California?
Although California is more known for its dry and hot weather that causes fires, it’s not devoid of it’s wet season either. Although there has never been a record of a tropical hurricane making landfall in California, there have been a few close calls with huge hurricanes coming dangerously close to California's shores and breaking just before reaching land. This means that California is most likely safe from a hurricane large enough to cause severe damage reaching the homes of its citizens, but as we know, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. If you would rather be prepared for such a scenario, you can call SERVPRO at the number listed above and we can set you up with an emergency readiness plan that will prepare you for any kind of disaster to come.
Storm Damage Tips!!
What you can do until help arrives
After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
Commercial Storm Damage
Damage to your commercial property due to a flood and other types of water damage can mean lost revenue and potentially, lost customers.
If your business requires water damage restoration due to broken plumbing, flooding or as a result of fire suppression, time is absolutely of the essence. That's why SERVPRO of Cheviot Hills/Palms is on call 24/7 to provide your business with a reliable lifeline when water damage restoration is needed. Let us partner with you to help minimize business interruption and get you, your employees and your customers back to business as quickly as possible.
There is a sense of urgency associated with a flood or other types of water damage. That's because fast, effective water remediation prevents the further complication of mold. At SERVPRO of Cheviot Hills/Palms, we have the labor, equipment and expertise to handle disasters both large and small, from water damage due to a plumbing leak to large loss situations due to major flooding. Our commercial water damage restoration expertise spans all industries, from retail and hospitality, to healthcare, government and industrial clients.
Protect Your Home From Heavy Rain and Flooding
SERVPRO of Cheviot Hills/Palms has released these tips on how to protect homes from heavy rain and flooding:
- Check for basement leaks – take a few minutes this weekend to inspect both the interior and exterior of your home’s foundation, walls, floors and windows for any cracks that may have developed during the winter months. Even a minor crack can lead to major water damage during a heavy spring shower. You can use a basic waterproof epoxy and a paintbrush or putty knife to patch any small cracks you find.
- Inspect sump pumps – a sump pump removes water that accumulates underneath a home and is one of the best defenses against flooded basements and subsequent costly repairs. All too often, though, homeowners don’t find out their sump pump is not working properly until it’s too late and spring showers are already wreaking havoc on your home. It is recommended that you inspect your sump pump each spring to ensure it’s working properly.
- Clean gutters and downspouts – leaves and debris from spring storms can lead to clogged gutters and downspouts, and the number one cause of basement flooding is roofs not draining properly. Cleaning your gutters each spring is an inexpensive way to make sure your home is ready for the rain to come. Also, check that downspouts extend away from the home’s foundation by at least three feet, this will help effectively move rain water away from the home.
- Consider back-flow valves – sewer back-flow valves are small, inexpensive parts that are installed in sewer drainage lines to help regulate water flow. These small valves can save big headaches by preventing sewer water from entering a basement during heavy rain and go a long way to making your basement flood proof.